Welcome to Pamoja Tujenge!
Visit the Facebook Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/442974132446103/
We are a non-profit, charitable organization whose goal is to help rebuild rural African communities through programs that will promote health, education and sustainable agricultural practices. Our approach is to respond to identified local needs and aspirations respecting local culture, knowledge and know-how. Since our inception in 2005 and working with our partners on the ground in DRC, Pamoja has made a significant contribution to better the lives of the citizens of Katanga.
- Pamoja’s women’s health program provided 300 sterile birthing kits to pregnant women who otherwise would have no access to sanitary means in childbirth.
- 2,100 anti-malaria bed nets were distributed to the citizens of Katebi, Nzilo and Kazembe, effectively protecting 2/3 of the population from the endemic disease.
- 140 kg of children’s nutritional supplements supplied through the Sprinkles Global Health Initiative have been distributed since 2006.
- 700 LifeStraw® family water filtration units distributed in 2010-2011. Each has a capacity to purify over 18,000 litres of contaminated water which is common in the region. These devices work against common waterborne bacteria such as Salmonella, Shigella, Enterococcus and Staphylococcu. Of the 65% of the population that live in rural areas in DRC, only 28% (2008) have access to improved drinking water sources.
- Water and soil tests completed in 2008. Water and soil tests completed in 2008. The tests show significant contamination of water with e-coli and heavy metals. There is a high concentration of clay in the area that will be utilized in the construction of the Project Katebi 2012 School and Medical Clinic. Read more on this project…
- Local farming practices assessed for potential crop options, tool and seed requirements and potential participants in agricultural activities in 2008.
In Swahili, one of the official languages of DR Congo, ‘Pamoja Tujenge’ means ‘Let’s build together’. In this spirit we invite you to get involved by volunteering with us or making a financial donation.